me and food/film/music/nerd soulmate had another thursday night in and made another AMAZING dish: baked penne. we couldn’t find ziti but penne was a good alternative. it was both our first time cooking it, but our taste buds were very happy with the result.
it served about 6 or 7 depending on portions… we used 4 chicken breast fillets, 1 large can of whole tomatoes, and a hand-size block of mozzarella. (sorry, i suck at details.)
- pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- brown pre-seasoned chicken (nothing fancy: oregano, salt & pepper and a little bit of water or lemon) sauteed in salt & pepper and generous quantities of onions & garlic. to keep it tender, be sure to cook on medium-low heat and cover it
- slowly add the canned tomato (canned has so much more juice!) into the chicken and bring to a simmer. add oregano/salt/pepper as desired
- after the penne is boiled and strained, add increments of the chicken/tomato along with mozzarella and shaved parmesan (it melts much more easily than shredded), making sure to toss it evenly so that the cheese and tomato are distributed evenly
- transfer the tossed chicken, tomato, cheese, and penne onto a casserole dish and add a layer of mozzarella on top
- bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until mozzarella boils
- serve with love!
also, i tossed a salad that wasn’t too hard to make with a dressing simple to mix. for the greens, i just used a bag of mixed greens and sliced strawberries as an alternative to tomatoes (YUM). for the dressing: mix ketchup, sriracha sugar, and mayo in a bowl and blend with a spoon. use proportions that are suitable for your own tastebuds, as i like it a little spicy. but the general ratio of ketchup:sriracha:mayo is 3:2:2 if that makes any sense. sugar, use at your discretion.
enjoy! and celebrate with 4 episodes of ‘glee’!