I wore sandals for me and JC’s National Mall adventure. Stupid me. We toured the White House and walked to the Lincoln Memorial; walked through the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History and the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum; and all the way around toward the Capitol. My feet easily hated me within 20 minutes.
But at least I can say I walked the entire National Mall by foot – though a minute accomplishment, I’m pretty proud. It was such a beautiful day anyway, and it wasn’t hard to keep going with a great travel buddy who more or less walked my pace.
- Lincoln Memorial – what architecture! The ceiling had great colors shining through; and the grandeur of Lincoln’s statue was just awe-inspiring
- MLK Memorial – not only is the memorial beautifully designed (ROMA Design Group based in San Francisco!), but the quotes that lined the stone throughout the memorial were well selected.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History – science museums are always a hit with my inquiring mind but this is definitely my favorite, maybe because of their Live Butterfly Pavilion. So cool!! And I couldn’t resist becoming a member just so I can subscribe to their amazing magazine.
- Meeting Jason at his place of work at the Capitol. It was his last day, but at least we got to see our friends Fayzan and Madeline before we left DC.
- Watching a quiet session of Senate in the galleries. I’d love to go back for a heated debate (hint, Jason).